EnSilica is a designer and supplier of mixed signal ASICs (Application Specific Integrated Circuit). ASICs are Integrated Circuits or semiconductor chips developed for a particular use or product rather than for general purpose usage. ASICs help differentiate products through optimised hardware making products smaller, faster, lower power, improved security, add novel functionality, improving supply chain security and protecting products from being copied.
The Company has expertise in the area of designing complex mixed signal ASICs. Mixed signal ASICs combine digital and analogue functions onto a single chip. They are the most complex chips to design hence the highest value.
The Company was established in 2001 as a specialist consultancy designing ICs on a contract basis. Using over 15 years’ first-hand industry experience, the Company was able to begin transitioning to a fabless design and supply business model in 2016. EnSilica now provides an end-to-end service for the design and supply of ASICs, outsourcing certain elements such as the wafer fabrication of the manufacturing and packaging to third parties – otherwise known as a Fabless Semiconductor Model. This is a proven model for growth and profitability used by many European companies including Dialog Semiconductor, Cambridge Silicon Radio, Wolfson and Nordic Semiconductor.
EnSilica’s customers currently range from global corporations and OEMs to technology start-ups, including automotive Tier 1s, industrial enterprises, as well as large software companies and service providers developing proprietary hardware. EnSilica is an approved supplier to some of the world’s largest automotive and industrial OEMs and Tier 1 suppliers.
The Company’s historic profitability has enabled it to re-invest a significant proportion of profits to support R&D and the development of intellectual property and its transition to an ASIC design and supply business model.
As global digitisation continues, there has been a rapid expansion in demand for electronics, particularly across the global automotive, industrial, wearables and satellite communication markets, resulting in an increased demand for semiconductor chips, a key component in any electronic equipment or system. In recognition of the advantages of customised chips, manufacturers of electronics are increasingly making use of application specific integrated circuits (ASICs) in their products to realise the benefits that ASICs bring.
The Directors believe that EnSilica has multiple strengths that are important to the success of its business:
- Global business with c. 120 employees across 3 continents and a truly international customer base
- ASICs market forecasted to grow 8.2% per cent. through to 2026 and reach $27.6 billion
- Mixed signal fabless model is a proven model for growth and profitability
- Strong partnerships with key supply chain partners including TSMC, Global Foundries and Arm
- Strong know-how in our markets and extensive IP portfolio
- Addressing high growth markets :
- Automotive – semiconductor content per car increasing massively due to electrification and advanced safety features
- Satellite Communication – market driven by investment in new constellations, new generation of user terminals needed to enable this market are major consumers of RF ASICs
- Healthcare Wearables – Market for smart watches and fitness trackers is well established with growth of 11% CAGR and wearable healthcare and medical devices is growing at 19% CAGR from 2021 to 2024
- Three ASICs now reached the supply phase, 3 chips at the design stage and pipeline at an all-time high
- AIM admission to fund growing Design and Supply pipeline